Working Groups for the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012)
Dated 7th June, 2006
In the context of formulation of the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012), it has been decided to set up a Working Group on Consumer Protection. The Terms of Reference and Composition of the Working Group will be as follows.
I. Terms of Reference:
1. To recommend a comprehensive set of policies, programmes and action plan to launch a strong paradigm for consumer protection covering inter alia consumer rights to awareness, education and redressal of grievances and quality infrastructure and standardization.
2. To identify specific areas requiring Government intervention and to suggest ways and means to enhance responsiveness of private sector to consumers..
3. To make an assessment of resource requirements and manner of financing including PPP models in the Eleventh Five Year Plan.
II. Composition of Working Group
2. The Chairman of the Working Group may include additional term(s) of reference in consultation with Member (Industry), Planning Commission, who is Chairman of the concerned Steering Committee.
3. The Chairman of the Working Group may co-opt any other Expert as Member of the Working Group, if considered necessary.
4. The Working Group will submit its report within three months. Department of Consumer Affairs will provide the secretarial assistance to the Working Group.
5. The expenditure on TA/DA of official members in connection with the meetings of the Working Group will be borne by the parent Department/Ministry to which the official belongs as per the rules of entitlement applicable to them. The non-official members of the Group will be entitled to TA/DA as permissible to Grade I officers of the Government of India under SRI 90(a) and this expenditure will be borne by the Planning Commission.
6. Shri. D.Banerjee, Deputy Adviser(CI), Planning Commission, Room No. 319-A, Yojana Bhavan, New Delhi (Tel: 23096710) will act Nodal Officer and any further communication in this regard may be made with the Nodal Officer.