Working Groups for the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012)
Dated 21st June 2006
In the context of the formulation of the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-12), it has been decided to set up a Working Group on Technical Education under the Department of Secondary and Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development.
I. The Terms of Reference of the Working Group
- To review the status of technical education in the country with a particular focus on the future development perspective between 2007-12
- To critically examine the issues of access, quality and relevance
- To suggest measures for increased capacity expansion in technical institutions, improvement in quality, revamping of courses, provision of adequate trained faculty, and removal of obsolescence and modernization of laboratories/ workshops/ libraries/computing facilities, international benchmarking and effective transparent accreditation
- To suggest measures for bringing girls, SC and STs, OBCs, Minorities, the Disabled and other disadvantaged groups on par with the rest, in the area of Technical Education.
- To assess the progress and achievements of new institutions set up in the Tenth Plan
- To suggest measures for providing adequate financial and other support to (i) talented and (ii) needy students, so that they are able to realize their full potential, and no one desirous of pursuing Technical Education is deprived of it due to financial and other constraints.
- To suggest policy measures for private sector participation
II. The Composition of the Working Group.
- Secretary (S and HE), Department of Secondary and Higher Education, MHRD, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi - Chairman
- Dr. Damodar Acharya, Chairman, AICTE, I.P.Estate, New Delhi
- Prof. M.S. Ananth, Director, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai-600036
- Prof. R.P. Dahiya, Director, NIT, Malviya Nagar, Jaipur
- Prof. Devi Singh, Director, IIM, Lucknow, Prabandh Nagar, Off Sitapur Road,
Lucknow- 226013. Fax : 2734005
- Prof. M. Anandakrishnan, Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS),
- Prof. (Dr.) S.C. Naik, President, Institute of Engineers, 08, Gokhale Road, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Principal Secretary (Technical Education), Government of Karnataka
- Principal Secretary (Technical Education), Government of Rajasthan
- Director (Technical Education), Government of Bihar, Department of Science and Technology, Patna-800001
- Prof. Antony Thomas, Principal, College of Engineering, Trivandrum, Kerala
- Director (Education), Planning Commission, New Delhi
- Economic Adviser (Planning), Deptt. of S and HE, MHRD, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi
- Dr. Rajeev Sangal, Director, HIT Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
- Dr. K. Vijaya Raghavan, Director, National Center for Biological Sciences, Bangalore
- Prof. C. S.Jha, former Director, IIT, B-l 80, Sector 31, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Shri N.R. Banerjee, VC, Bengal Engineering College, Shibpur, Howrah, West Bengal
- Prof. S.K. Sarangi, Director, NIT, Rourkela, Orissa-769008
- Joint Secretary, M/o Information and Communication Technology, Electroniki Niketan, CGO Complex, New Delhi
- Joint Secretary, Department of Science and Technology Qutab Institutional Area, New Delhi.
- JS (Technical), Deptt. of S and HE, MHRD, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi - Member-Secretary
The Chairman of the Working Group may, if deemed necessary, constitute subgroups and/or co-opt additional members.
The expenditure on TA/DA etc. of official members in connection with the meetings of the Working Group will be borne by the parent Department/Ministry/Organization to which the official belongs, as per the rules of entitlement applicable to them.
The non-official members of the Working Group will be entitled to TA/DA as permissible to Grade I officers of the Government of India under SR 190(a) and this expenditure will be borne by the Planning Commission.
The Working Group will finalise its report by 30th September, 2006.