Working Groups for the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012)
Language Development and Book Promotion
Dated 25th July 2006
In the context of the formulation of the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-12), it has been decided to set up a Working Group on Language Development and Book Promotion under the Department of Secondary and Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development.
I. The Terms of Reference of the Working Group.
- To review the performance of existing schemes and institutional structures for the development of Indian languages, and for teaching, research etc. in English and Foreign Languages vis-a-vis the objectives for which they were set up.
- To formulate goals, objectives and targets for the XI Plan period in respect of:
- Development of Indian languages (including preservation of folk, tribal and endangered languages) and
- Teaching, research etc. in English and foreign languages.
- To suggest (a) changes in the existing schemes and institutional structures (b) new schemes and structures, to the extent necessary for the achievement of tne XI Plan goals.
- To assess the financial and other resources required for the XI Plan period, in the light of 2 and 3 above.
- To review the present status of book promotion and to provide a focus for the development perspective for this sector for the XI Plan.
- To make suggestions for the future direction of the programme in this sector including their expansion and qualitative upgradation in terms of standards, facilities and attainments and with special reference to the backward regions/districts and weaker sections.
- To suggest measures for utilization of the modern computer and communication technologies in the development and future direction of this sector.
- To examine critically the resource requirement under different activities/programmes in this sector.
- Suggest measures for involving the community/NGOs for the effective implementation of the programmes in this sector.
- To examine the strategy for involving the Panchayati Raj Institutions for the village, taluka/block and district levels and the municipal bodies in the urban areas, with a view to achieving the goals set for book promotion.
- To review the existing schemes to ensure special emphasis for SC/ST Girls and other disadvantaged groups.
II. The Composition of the Working Group.
- Secretary, Ministry of HRD, Department of Secondary and Higher Education - Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi.- Chairman.
- Director, Central Institute of Indian Languages, Manasagangotri, Mysore -570006.
- Prof. B.N. Patnaik, Fellow CIIL, Manasgangotri, Mysore - 570006.
- Prof. Pushpak Bhattacharya, Computer Science Department, IIT-Bombay, PO IIT, Powai, Mumbai - 400 076.
- Prof. Ganesh Devy, Bhasha Research and Publication Centre, Near Dinesh Mills, Vadodara- 390007, Gujarat.
- Prof. Ram Dayal Munda (formerly VC Ranchi Univ.) Ranchi (Jharkhand) Res : Behind Ranchi College, Morabadi, Ranchi - 834008, Jharkhand.
- Prof. Tista Bagchi, Prof. Department of Linguistics, Art Faculty Extension, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007.
- Prof. T.B. Subba, Department of Anthropology, North Eastern Hill University, NEHU Campus PO, Shillong-793022.
- Prof. B.A. Vivek Rai, VC, Kannada University, Hampi Vidyaranya - 583276, Hospet Taluk, Bellary District, Karnataka.
- Prof. Rajesh Sachdeva, Deputy Director, Central Institute of Indian Languages, Manasgangotri, Mysore - 570006. Phone : 0821-2345020. Fax : 0821-2515032. Email: rajesh[at]ciil[dot]stmpy[dot]soft[dot]net
- Prof. Amiya Dev (formerly VC Bidyasagaar Univ.), EE 108, Salt Lake, Flat No. 7, Kolkata-700091.
- Prof. Kamala Prasad, Vice Chairman, Governing Council Kendriya Hindi Sansthan, M-31, Niraala Nagar, Bhadabhada Road, Dhushyant Marg, Bhopal-462003.
- Prof. V.N. Jha, Director, Centre of Advanced, Study in Sanskrit, University of Pune, Ganeshkhind, Pune - 411007. Email : vnjha[at]unipune[dot]ernet[dot]in / cass[at]unipune[dot]ernet[dot]in
- Vice-Chancellor, Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, (CIEFL) Hyderabad - 500007. Phone : Office : 040-27098402
- Director Kendriya Hindi Sansthan, Kendriya Hindi Sansthan Mars, Agra -282005.
- Chairman. National Book Trust, India, A-5, Green Park, New Delhi-110016.
- Economic Adviser, Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi.
- Vice Chairman. National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL), Ministry of HRD, West Block-1, R.K. Puram, New Delhi-110066
- Vice-Chancellor, Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, New Delhi.
- Vice-Chancellor, Sri Lai Bahadur Shastri Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha, New Delhi.
- Shri Suresh Keswani, Vice-chancellor, National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language, NCPSL, 6th Floor, Darpan Building, R.C. Dutt Road, Alkapuri, Vadodara-390007.
- Chairman, Sahitya Academy Ferozshah Road, Mandi House. New Delhi.
- Ms. Mahashweta Devi. 50-B, Prince Ghulam Shah Road, Kolkata-700032.
- Prof. U.R. Ananthamurthy , Chairman, Film and Television Insititute of India (FTII), Pune -411004.
- Prof. Sydney Riberio, A-681, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi - 110076.
- Mr. Luis Miranda, President and CEO, IDFC Private Equity Company Limited, 17, Vaswani Mansion, 3rd Floor, Dinshaw Vachha Road, Churchgate, Mumbai -400020. Tele No : 91 22 22021413. Email : luis[at]idfcpe[dot]com
- JS (Languages), Ministry of HRD, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi.- (Member-Secretary)
The Chairman of the Working Group may, if deemed necessary, constitute subgroups and/or co-opt additional members.
The expenditure on TA/DA etc. of the official members in connection with the meeting of the Working Group will be borne by the parent Department/Ministry/Organization to which the official belongs, as per the rules of entitlement applicable to them.
The non-official members of the Working Group will be entitled to TA/DA as permissible to Grade I officers of the Government of India under SR 190(a) and this expenditure will be borne by the Planning Commission.
The Working Group will finalise its report by 30th September, 2006