This File was last Updated/Modified: April 04 2014 16:02:47.
Planning Commission Library
About The Library
Planning Commission Library is an internal division of Planning Commission created with objective to fulfill the information needs of Planning Commission Officers and Officials. Planning Commission Library is a research and reference library. The library is managed by well qualified/skilled staff and has accumulated a good collection of Books, Journals, Reports, Annual Plans of different States. The library is equipped with latest tools of Information Technology and provides a number of services to its users.
The aim of the Planning Commission Library is to provide the users, good quality, cost effective library, information and learning services The library also intends to be responsive to client’s needs that will reflect good professional practice, equality, creativity, and efficiency. The Library intend to provide access to resources and information services, necessary to support the learning and research activities of the Planning Commission.
Functions and Activities
- Development and proper maintenance of adequate and up-to-date collection of books, periodicals, reports, maps, and other items of macro and micro literature including electronic re-sources on all subjects relating to the work of the Planning Commission.
- Circulation of Books and Periodicals to all registered members of the library as per rules in vogue.
- Dissemination of currently published information by means of personal notification. Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI) service, preparation and distribution of DOCPLAN: A monthly list of selected articles indexed and abstract out of the periodicals received in the library. And TABLE OF CONTENTS of Journals received in the Library monthly. Recent List of Additions; A monthly list of books added to the library; and list of periodicals; Annual List of Periodicals received in the Library.
- Compilation and circulation of bibliographies, simple, annotated etc. on subjects of topical interest with the help of computerized catalogue database.
- Maintenance of an effective and responsive reference service and compilation of special reference files and indices according to needs of the library users.
- Binding of books and publications and journals of the Planning Commission Library.
- Cooperation with other government libraries and Central Secretariat Library, Department of Culture, the apex body in matters relating to government libraries.
Secretary, Planning Commission is the final authority in all matters of administration and control of the library. The Library Committee appointed by the Secretary, exercises general direction, control, supervision and guidance over the affairs of the Library.
Presently, Library has five Committees:
- Library Advisory Committee Chairman- Smt. Sindhushree Kullar, Secretary
- Library purchase (English Book/CDs/DVDs/Periodicals) Committee - chairman - Smt. Vinita Kumar, Sr. Advisor
- Library purchase (Hindi Book/Regional Books/Periodicals) committee - chairman -Mrs. Vandana Kumari Jena, Principal Advisor
- Library Development Committee - Chairman - Dr. C. Muralikrishna Kumar, Sr. Advisor
- Weeding Out Committee - Chairman - Shri Pawan Agrawal, Advisor.