This File was last Updated/Modified: September 18 2014 15:19:21.
Communication Information and Information Technology Division
The major items of work handled by the Division and activities undertaken include:
- The work relating to formulation of policies, Five Year Plans, Annual Plans, Mid-term Appraisal of Plans pertaining to Telecommunications, Posts, Information Technology and Information and Broadcasting sectors of the Economy.
- Examination of the Plan schemes / projects of the above mentioned sectors including the PSUs / Organizations under them.
- (iii)Examination of various policy documents / papers and preparation of comments as required by the Commission and Government from time to time.
- Participation in various Inter-Ministerial Committees and Commissions set up by the Government for these sectors.
- Maintenance and updation of Planning Commission Website :
- Printing and distribution of 'Plan Documents' and other reports of the Planning Commission.
- Preparation and circulation of 'Daily News Digest'.
2. The details of organisations and the major programme areas with which the Division is associated for various aspects of policy formulation, monitoring and evaluation include:
I. Department of Telecom
- Department of Telecommunications ( DOT )
- Telecom Commission
- Wireless Monitoring Organization ( WMO )
- Wireless Planning and Co-ordination Wing(WPC)
II. Regulatory Bodies
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)
- Telecom Dispute Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT)
III PSUs Providing Telecom Services
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. ( BSNL )
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. ( MTNL )
IV Development and Manufacturing of Telecom Equipment
- Indian Telephone Industries (ITI)
- Telecom Engineering Centre (TEC)
- Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT)
(B) Postal Sector : Department of Posts
- Expansion of Postal Network
- Computerisation of post offices (installation of MPCMs), Accounts and Administrative offices and Software Development.
- Computerisation and networking of Mail Offices
- Upgradation of Customer Care Centres
- Modernization and upgradation of VSAT system
- Modernization of operative / working systems (improving ergonomics)
- Mechanization / upgradation of mail movement
- Modernization / upgradation of premium products
- Upgradation and promotion of philately
- Construction of buildings
- Modernization of circle stamp depots
- Computerization of international mail processing
- National data centre
- Research and development / studies / surveys
- Establishment of express parcel post centres
- e-Bill Post
- New products and services including development of financial products and services.
(C) Information Technology
I. Department of Information Technology
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC).
- Department of Electronics Accredited Course on Computer (DDEACC).
- Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER).
- Centre for Material for Electronics (CMET).
- Education and Research Network (ERNET) India,
- Software Technology Park of India (STPI).
- Technology Development Council (TDC).
- National Microelectronics Council (NMC).
- Industrial Electronics Promotion Programme (IEPP).
- Standardization Testing and Quality Control Programme (STQC).
- Electronics and Computer Software Export Promotion Council (ESC).
- Semiconductor Complex Limited (SCL).
- National Informatics Centre.
II. Strengthening of IT infrastructure in States / UTs
- Community Information Centres (CICs).
(D) Information and Broadcasting
I. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
II. Prasar Bharati Corporation
- All India Radio
III. Information Sector
- Press Information Bureau (PIB).
- Publications Division
- Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity (DAVP)
- Song and Drama Division
- Directorate of Field Publicity
- Photo Division
- Registrar of Newspapers for India (RNI)
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC)
- Press Council of India (PCI)
IV. Film Sector
- Films Division
- National Film Archives of India (NFAI)
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, Kolkata
- Film and Television Institute of India, Pune (FTTI, Pune).
- Childrens' Film Society of India
- National Film Development Corporation, Ltd.
- Directorate of Film Festivals
- Central Board of Film Certification
(V) Public Sector Units (PSUs)
- National Film Development Corporation (NFDC)
- Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Ltd. (BECIL)
(E) Planning Commission Website Address:
- Maintaining and updating Planning Commission website
- Web-page making, formatting and uploading published Planning Commission documents,
- Attending e-mails received through website.